Date of issue: Monday 3rd December 2018
Muslim Hands is opening a new community kitchen for the homeless, low-income families and needy children.
Launching on Saturday 8th December, the kitchen will be free and open to all, and will provide 100 hot, nutritious meals twice a day, seven days a week.
With many of the service users living below the poverty line, the Open Kitchen will provide a safe, warm environment for those in need to enjoy a good meal with dignity. To find out more about the Open Kitchen, please contact Maqsood Ahmed on email@example.com
Rico, a rough sleeper in Hounslow says:
‘The Open Kitchen will benefit not only me but so many homeless people in London. To have somewhere where we can get two meals a day and sit down in a comfortable setting like everyone else will change our lives’.
Muslim Hands’ Chairman, Lakhte Hassanain says:
‘We cannot ignore the hardships many people are facing on a daily basis. Since 2012, Muslim Hands has been working to tackle issues of poverty, exploitation and exclusion within the UK. The Open Kitchen will provide a crucial platform to engage local communities about the existence of food poverty and to transform the way people access support by providing a safe space to help them be free from hunger’.
Note to editors:
* The UK Department of Health defines ‘food poverty’ as ‘the inability to afford, or to have access to food to make up a healthy diet.’
* Studies show that up to four million adults and children in the UK are at risk of going hungry.
* A quarter of the population in Hounslow are living in poverty with an estimated 12,000 Hounslow children living in low-income households in 2014.
* In the UK 300,000 people are affected by homelessness; roughly 1 in every 200 people.
* We rely on voluntary donations to continue our vital work. You can donate now by calling 0115 9117222 or visiting muslimhands.org.uk
About Muslim Hands
Established in 1993, Muslim Hands is an international aid agency and NGO dedicated to providing emergency relief and tackling the root causes of poverty around the world. Find out more at https://muslimhands.org.uk/
+44 (0)115 911 7222